Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The universality of values

When I set out to have people respond to number four: are there any dangers in teaching values or are some values universal, I thought that everyone would say values are a dangerous path and teachers should tread carefully.  I was surprised with the theme that emerged in my responses; most people have a list of what they think are universal values.  Just to clarify when I say universal values, I mean ethical or belief systems that people from all walks of life, cultures, and societies would cite as important for people to adhere to.  Most respondents firmly believe that when it comes to values, we all treasure some of the same.


"Ethics is not about being part of any culture; it's about being human. Whatever your background, culture, language, etc., a successful society cannot operate without basic rights, freedoms, and responsibilities that direct human conduct."

"I think there are certain universal values in the world that override cultural differences.  Values like honesty, respect, responsibility, cooperation, and tolerance."

"I think that almost any culture can support values such as honesty, respect, responsibility, loyalty, etc. without fail."

"There are certain universal values that are hopefully being taught at home and then reinforced at school. Values such as respect, honesty, and kindness are part of every culture, and are necessary in order to make schools and societies function well."

"Labeling certain values as universal can be tricky, but I think the ones that should be taught in schools are the ones that benefit everyone and make the world a healthier living environment, such as respect and honesty."


"When I think of what values I would want my students to possess, these are the ones that come to mind: respect, integrity, self-motivation, care and consideration for others (people, animals, planet). I feel like these are pretty universal, and would be appropriate for all school settings."

Were you paying attention?  Did you notice some common values within the response samples?  Respect, honesty, and responsibility look to play a part in all of the responses.  The streamlined effect of these responses, each from a different person, fascinates me.  If I was previously not a believer in certain values that our American culture holds dear, I definitely see a pattern now.  These responses tell me that these three values are incredibly important in the United States.  Call me naive, but since our culture is made up of many other cultures and belief systems, and the people in this salad bowl culture see these three as important values, then I think that these responses point to a universality of values.  Maybe these words all mean a little something different depending on where you are examining them, but I think the basic idea holds true.  We all seek three values in each other, respect, responsibility, and honesty.  Where can we learn these?  Well that is a question for a new blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment